5 Home Remedies For Sinusitis For Fast Relief
Image by @carolinahdzz via Unsplash 5 HOME REMEDIES FOR SINUSITIS FOR FAST RELIEF What is Sinusitis? Sinusitis can often be mistaken for these common ailments – cold or flu due to their similar symptoms. Sinusitis happens when your sinuses, which are air-filled cavities in your skull becomes inflamed or infected. They are located in 4 […]
Image by @carolinahdzz via Unsplash
5 HOME REMEDIES FOR SINUSITIS FOR FAST RELIEF
What is Sinusitis?
Sinusitis can often be mistaken for these common ailments – cold or flu due to their similar symptoms. Sinusitis happens when your sinuses, which are air-filled cavities in your skull becomes inflamed or infected.
They are located in 4 different parts of the skull – the area below your eyes, above your eyes, in between your eyes and also behind your eyes. That’s why when you have sinusitis, you have probably experienced a constant pressure on one of these areas which help to tell sinusitis apart from the common cold or flu.
Signs and Symptoms of Sinusitis
The common symptoms people with sinusitis usually face are:
- Blocked nose
- Pressure around the eyes
- Thick or coloured phlegm
- Postnasal drip
- Loss of smell
– advertisement –
Causes of Sinusitis
Although it is not exactly clear what makes certain people more prone to getting sinus infection, here are some factors that may play a role:
- Nasal allergies
- Structure of the nose
- Weak immune system
In Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), sinusitis may arise due to both external and internal factors.
- Poor diet (eg. fried and oily food)
- Stress & Anxiety
- Qi deficiency (in Lungs, Spleen and Stomach)
- Environment. Wind-cold and wind-heat are the two main culprits.
– advertisement –
Types of Sinusitis
There are two types of sinusitis:
- Acute. Last for less than 3 months.
- Chronic. Occurring for more than 3 months.
In TCM, acute sinusitis is usually caused by external factors, such as being exposed to the wind and cold for a prolonged period. Chronic sinusitis is usually caused by internal factors, such as having a diet high in fried and oily food. This leads to an accumulation of dampness in the body, leading to a Qi deficiency in one of the organs as Qi is unable to flow and circulate the body due to the dampness in the body.
If you think you are having sinusitis, turn to a doctor or a certified TCM practitioner for help. Here are also 5 home remedies that may help to relieve some symptoms of sinusitis.
5 Home Remedies For Sinusitis
- Hydrate. Drink plenty of water and stay hydrated. This can help to thin out your mucus.
- Hot steam. Boil a pot of water and breathe in the steam. You can cover your head with a blanket over the pot so that you can breathe in more of the steam. This can help to open the nasal passages and ease the pressure.
- Spice it Up. If you love spicy foods, try adding more chili or wasabi to your meals. Eating spicy foods can actually help you to clear your nasal passages too!
- Rest. Sinusitis is an infection, which is why having plenty of rest is important so that your body can fight the infection. Make sure to get a few more pillows to prop yourself up to help you breathe more comfortably.
- Add humidifier. Placing a humidifier in your bedroom while you sleep can moisture the air you breathe in, reducing congestion. Add your favourite essential oils such as lavender to help you relax and have a better sleep!